I’m always humbled and appreciative of the wide array of support that we receive in our efforts to help families of kids with cancer and fund cutting-edge research. It really energizes me to see that so many people, from so many walks of life CARE! To give you an idea of what I’m talking about, in just the past 2 weeks, take a look at what B+ Nation accomplished:
- I travelled to the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas to accept a $156,000 check from Jetset magazine. For the third year in a row, The Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation was the exclusive beneficiary of Miss Jetset, a model competition.
- A few days later, high school kids from Paul VI HS in Haddonfield, NJ hosted their inaugural B+ dance marathon and they raised OVER $15,000. Keep in mind that this dance was supposed to happen earlier in the year, but a snowstorm threw a little wrinkle into the plan. Rather than giving up, Olivia and her team battled on and started a great new tradition at their school.
- The following day, Casey Miller honored her friend, Matt Taylor, who passed away recently, by hosting a fundraiser at The Starboard in Dewey Beach, DE in conjunction with their always popular Kentucky Derby party. Proceeds from the event benefit The B+ Foundation.
- Two days ago, I spoke with 4th grade students at PS 206 in Harlem, NY. Thanks to their teacher, Ms. Bank, they learned about The Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation, what it means to ‘Be Positive’, and what it means to “Live Like Andrew”. I LOVED my visit with the kids!!! Oh, by the way, these kids raised over $500 on their own!!!
- And, last night, I attended an event called “Chairs for Charity” at St. Ann School in Wilmington, DE. Each 8th grader painted a chair in a theme that is important to them and then the chairs were auctioned off with the proceeds going to charity. This year, the students and teachers of St. Ann’s picked The Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation to be the beneficiary. This honor was especially sweet since one of our earliest B+ Heroes, Savannah Pauley, attended St. Ann’s before she passed away.
One week from tomorrow, we will be back at The Starboard in Dewey Beach, DE for the 7th Annual Starboard B+ VIP Black Tag Auction. If you’re a Delaware beach person, this is a “must have”. Who wouldn’t want to automatically jump the line while everyone else is wrapped around the block waiting…and help fight childhood cancer all the while. Click on the link below to get in on the bidding.
The 12th Annual B+ 5k Run/Walk will be held on Wed. June 20th at Andrew’s alma mater, Salesianum School. Don’t delay!!! Create a team today or join one of the teams on the site. After you register, PLEASE send out the pre-written email (and use the Facebook and Twitter widgets) to help us not only raise awareness, but much-needed funds for families of kids with cancer. Can you imagine being in the hospital by your child’s bedside while s/he is literally fighting for his/her life AND then you receive an eviction notice in the mail. OR, you can’t afford to pay for the medicine that your doctor prescribed for your child and your insurance company won’t cover it! What do you do? You contact The Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation and we help you. Period! But, we need you to enable us to help these families. Please register using the link below and start fundraising today. It’s a great night of free food and lots of fun!!!
B+ Hero, Mateo
I want to take a minute to introduce you to my friend, B+ Hero, Mateo. I visited Mateo yesterday at the hospital and he’s an amazing 13 year old boy with a tremendous family. In many ways, he’s very lucky. But, he’s battling cancer and the complications that come from treatment. Mateo and his family need your prayers. And, by the way, take a look at what is on ALL of the track uniforms of Mateo’s school, St. Anthony’s. Makes me smile!
MAKE it a great weekend!
Ali & Andrew’s Dad